You are here

How to Get Legal Protection

You deserve to live free from violence and abuse. There are legal supports that can increase your safety.

How to Get Free Legal Advice

Anyone in Ontario who is experiencing domestic violence can get a free emergency two-hour consultation with a lawyer, regardless of immigration status in Canada. Free telephone interpretation services for non-English or non-French speaking applicants are also available. Call Legal Aid Ontario at 1-800-668-8258.

How to Get Protection Orders

A protection order will limit how much a person can contact you.

There are two types of “protection orders”:

  • A restraining order is through an Ontario Family Court. For more information on restraining orders, click here.
  • A peace bond is through a Justice of the Peace. For more information on peace bonds, click here.

How to Get a Family Court Support Worker

If you are involved in the family court system, Family Court Support Workers are available across the province support women who are victims or survivors of violence.

  • To find a Family Court Support Worker near you, click here.

Are You Concerned about the Impact of Legal Action on Your Immigration Status?

It is best to get legal advice. While this site cannot provide you legal advice, here are some things to consider:

  • If you are a Canadian citizen, your immigration status is not at risk if you leave an abusive relationship
  • If you are a permanent resident, in most cases, your status is not at risk if you leave an abusive relationship. However, there are some potential risks if you were sponsored and immigration authorities conduct an investigation that results in some doubt about either the relationship or your application.
  • If your permanent residency is conditional, your sponsorship application is in process, you have temporary or no status, you will need to seek legal advice.

For more information, click here for a fact sheet from CLEO.